Monday, July 9, 2012

Slow week - 4th of July


Date:     Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 3:17 PM
Email #92 – New Plymouth, ID

Hello everyone!

   This week was slow for us. 4th of July. It seems that a lot of people consider it to last a whole week. Which I would be fine with if I wasn't a missionary. lol. But we still worked. We had an appointment with an older gentleman who was a referral from a dinner appointment. His name was Lonnie.  We taught him the restoration, which went very well. We had left a book of Mormon with him and asked him if he had read it. He told us he had read the whole thing, in a week!.  (he had just skimmed through the whole thing. Reading chapter headings and a few verses.) I believe he did though, because as we shared verses from it he told us that he remembered reading that. Anyway, at the end of the lesson his big concern was how Joseph Smith stated that "the book of Mormon was the most correct of any other book and that a man would grow closer to God by abiding by its precepts."  He believes in the bible, and anything that claims to be "better" than the bible he doesn't want anything to do with. We tried to explain how we don't esteem the book of Mormon over the bible, but that we use them both, that we need both to truly understand the gospel of Christ, but sadly he was past listening to us.
   The biggest thing that I realized after that lesson is how much my knowledge of the scriptures has truly grown out on the mission! As Lonnie asked questions I found myself remembering scriptures not only in the book of Mormon but in the bible as well! The spirit really can bring to our mind the knowledge that we need to share with others. (Matthew 10:19)

   P-day was very fun today! There was another basketball tournament set up by some of the other elders. Now I'm not the best but I like a good game of Bball.  We caught a ride with the Payette elders, Dees and Stone, and I had a ton of fun. Btw, I finally got some allergy medication and it is helping TREMENDOUSLY with my asthma. I've only used my inhaler 3 times the past week and a half! So I wasn't worried as I played, I just had fun. I've attached a few pictures. Elder Kofoed took them. He didn't play because his ankle was hurt. (I'm so glad he didn't because I did not want to verse him. I would have gotten uber mad!) Our team didn't win.  We basically got 4th place our of 8 teams. I'm just glad I got to play four games! lol.




   I did get your package thank you so much for the shirt! You will notice that I am wearing it in the pictures. lol. (for the record the picture on the back is SO NOT the salt river next to the ranch. lol. ;p) And I am already handing out my CD's to people and they are loving it. You might be happy to know Mom that last night at our dinner appointment I played my proud and free song for the family. There were two families there actually and both moms and a lot of the daughters and one son cried. One mom cried because her son had played guitar and sang before his mission so I made her think of him. lol. They took a video of it and another song (Albi the racist dragon) and they will be posting them on facebook and youtube. I hope you enjoy them. lol.
(Go to Elder Bevell's facebook page to see video's...)

   Well, that's all I got for now. I'm trying uber hard not to think too much about home but I am also uber excited to see you all again! I love you all; you are in my heart and prayers. I am proud of all of you for your wonderful examples in the church and as a family. I know this church is true, that the book of Mormon is true. That Joseph Smith was called as a prophet, that he did see God and Jesus Christ. I know Jesus Christ is my Savior, and I am so grateful for what he did for me so that I could be happy and be able to come and live with him again. Like Enos I look forward to the day when I can hear the Saviors voice as he says to me "Come unto me, ye blessed, there is a place prepared for you in the mansions of my Father." And there we all can dwell as a family forever. Take care everyone and stay cool!
                 -Elder Bevell-

No comments:

Post a Comment